Kamoer X4 Doser 101: Assembly, Installation & Operation
T he new Kamoer X4 Liquid Dosing Pump is the latest state of the art controllable dosing system from Kamoer. Each unit includes a Wi-Fi connection, which allows the doser to be controlled via most mobile devices.
Alkalinity and Calcium are consumed by our tank inhabitants 24/7 and need to be replenished on a daily basis. Some hobbyists take care of this manually by adding Alkalinity and Calcium solutions once a day and other hobbyists rather automate the process by using dosing pumps. The X4 is a reliable, safe and versatile solution that facilitates the addition of supplements into our systems. Not only does it allow us to dose Alkalinity and Calcium but we can also supplement things such as trace elements, magnesium, liquid carbon and the list goes on and on!
Before we get started with the installation, let’s make sure that everything is included and nothing is missing from the box.
The box should include:
- The X4 Dosing Unit
- 4 Individual Dosing Heads
- Power adapter
- Mounting bracket
- Graduated cylinder
- Tube Bracket
- Temperature probe
- PVC Transparent Tubing
- Suction cup
Now that we have accounted for all the parts, let’s get started with the installation!
First, let’s attach the dosing pump heads to the main unit. The process is super simple and only takes a couple of seconds. All you need to do is line up the center of the exposed side of the dosing head with one of the 4 shafts on the X4 unit. Push the head in until it snaps into place. Repeat this process for all 3 remaining heads. You can install the heads with the tubing down or up. Choose the option that better suits your setup.
Now that the unit has been assembled, let’s find a location that is optimal for mounting our X4. The location should be easy access; it should be close to electrical power, close to sump or location where the dosing tubing will be installed and also easy access to dosing containers that will hold our solutions. The unit should also be installed higher than the sump but not directly above water.
Once we have found the perfect location, we can use the included mounting bracket to easily mount our unit. The mounting bracket allows for easy access and removal of the unit as well as generous space between the wall and the unit to allow for power cable, float switches and temperature probe.
Now that the unit has been mounted, it is time to connect the tubing. Installing the tubing is as simple as it gets. Just attach the included PVC clear tubing to the unions already attached to the doser heads and we are ready to configure the unit.
Connecting to the X4 Doser
Now, there are two ways to connect your new X4 unit to your home network: Manual and Automatic. In this video, we will go over the Automatic connection, which is the easiest and most reliable way to connect your new X4 to your home Wi-Fi.
- If you are using an iOS device, tap on the “More” icon found on the bottom right hand corner of the app screen. Then select “Set” and then tap on “Auto Connect”. If you are using an Android device, tap on the three vertical dots on the upper right hand corner and select “Auto Connect”.
- On the Auto Connect page you will see that the SSID field will automatically list your home’s Wi-Fi network. DO NOT fill in your Wi-Fi password yet. If you do, the auto connect process will fail.
- While leaving the password field blank and keeping the app open, let’s head over to our X4 unit and enter the Set Up menu by pressing and releasing the “Set” button once.
- Using the “Down” button, scroll down to “Option” and then press and release the “Set” button once to select.
- Now using the “Down” button, scroll down to “Auto Connect” and press the “Set” button to select.
- At this time, the X4 will prompt you to confirm your selection. Press the “Down” button to highlight “Yes” and then press and release the “Set” button to select. The unit will now display the word “Ready”.
- Immediately while the X4 is displaying the word “Ready” go back to your iOS or Android device and NOW you can enter YOUR Wi-Fi password. This is the password you use to connect to your home network. Do not enter 12345678.
- After typing your Wi-Fi password, tap on the “Connect” button. The app will display a status of “Connecting” and this process may take a few seconds. If successful, the app will display a message that the X4 connection has been successful and you can just tap on the OK button.
To confirm that the X4 is in fact connected to your Wi-Fi, terminate the Kamoer app and then start it again. On the main screen at the top, next to the Time/Temperature title you will see the word “Online”. This means your X4 unit is now permanently connected to your home Wi-Fi network and you can access and configure the unit via your mobile device any time you want.
Now the purpose of this video is to help you get your X4 unit setup and installed quickly and efficiently and while the X4 Doser has a number of great features, we are not going to cover them all here. If you want to learn more about all the available features, check out the X4 User Manual which can be downloaded from coralvue.com or keep an eye on upcoming X4 Advanced Setup videos.
Configuring your X4 Doser
The first thing to do is to make sure that our X4 unit has the proper time. To do this, just tap on the Time listed on the main page of the app. This will prompt the app to sync the time on the X4 unit with your mobile device.
Now, the next step is to assign names to each of the 4 dosing pumps. We recommend you name the pumps based on their function. If pump one is dosing Sodium Bicarbonate or Soda Ash, pump two is dosing Calcium, pump three does Magnesium and pump four is taking care of trace elements, then we recommend naming the pumps accordingly.
- To name the pumps using an iOS device, tap on the “More” option at the bottom right. Then select “Set” and finally, select “Set Name”. If you are using an Android device, then tap on the three vertical dots on the upper right hand corner and select “Pump Name”
- Tap on each of the pumps to rename them. Once completed, tap on the “Save” button and then manually return to the main screen.
Now, the whole purpose of having a Dosing pump is to automate the process of adding trace elements to our system. This means telling the dosing pump how much and how often to dose. The easiest thing to do is to just tell the X4 the total amount of solution to dose each day and then tell the unit how many times a day to dose. The X4 will automatically take the total daily dose and divide it by number of times you specify.
Calcium Dosing Example
Let’s go ahead and configure our Calcium Pump to dose a total of 30ml per day and automatically divide that by 24. This means that every hour, our X4 unit should dose 1.25ml of calcium solution.
- If using an iOS device, you can access the Auto Mode Settings by tapping on the “Automatic” icon on the bottom of the screen. If you are using an Android, just tap on the “Auto” icon also located at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the pump name you wish to configure.
- First, make sure that the pump is ON. On iOS, make sure the “Switch” slider is green and to the right. On an Android device, make sure the Channel is set to ON.
- Under “Run mode”, select “Per 1 Day”. This tells the X4 to run this configuration every day. There may be an instance where you only want to run this pump once every 2 days. In that case, you would select “Per 2 Days” but for now, we want this to run every day so we will leave it as “Per 1 Day”.
- The X4 is versatile enough that it allows you to specify the start and end time for each regimen. Say you want to dose only at night. Then you would set the start time to 1900 hours or 7 pm and an end time of 0600 hours or 6 am the next morning. For our configuration, we want the regimen to take the full 24hrs so we will leave the start time of 00:00 and the end time of 23:59.
- Now tap on the option “Number of runs” to tell the X4 how many times to dose each day. Here you can select every 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 and 24 hours. Let’s select 24 as we want the X4 to dose once every hour.
- Finally, we tell the X4 how much total to dose per day by setting the “Dosing Volume”. Here we will input 30ml.
Now, as soon as we entered the 30ml dosing volume, we can see that the X4 automatically set the “Single Dosing Volume” field to 1.2. This means that the X4 is planning on dosing 1.2ml each hour for a total of 30ml per day. Now, I am no math genius but 30 divided by 24 comes out to 1.25. So, why is the X4 only showing 1.2ml per single dose?
There is a perfectly good explanation. The smallest amount the X4 can dose is 0.1ml. This means that the X4 is capable of dosing 1.2 or 1.3 but it CANNOT dose 1.25ml. In cases like this, our friends at Kamoer decided to err on the side of caution and configured the X4 to round off to the lowest possible number, which in our case is 1.2ml.
Tap Save to upload the information to the X4 unit. To configure the rest of the pumps, just repeat the process. Keep in mind that each pump can be configured individually and is not dependent on the other pumps.
Anti Chemical Interference
Once all pumps have been configured, the next step is to make sure that the X4 unit does not allow multiple pumps to dose at the same time. This comes handy when you are dosing both Calcium and Alkalinity via the same unit. If you were to dose both solutions at the same time, they would immediately precipitate as soon as they hit the water. For this reason, it is always good to prevent chemical interference by spacing out the pumps by at least 5 minutes.
We can set the delay in the “Anti-chemical Interference” page.
- On Android, you can access this page by tapping on the three vertical dots on the upper right hand corner and selecting “Anti-chemical Interference”. On iOS, tap on the “More” icon at the bottom right of the page, then tap on “Set” and then select “Anti-chemical Interference”.
- Now, set the first pump to 0 minutes. Set the second pump to 5 minutes. This means that the second pump will run 5 minutes AFTER the first pump ran. The third pump is set based on the second pump. Therefore, we can input 5 minutes which means the third pump will run 5 minutes after THE SECOND pump ran. We will set the 4th pump to 5 minutes so it can run AFTER the third pump ran.
- Once done configuring each pump, tap on Save Parameters. This will upload the information to the X4. If in the future, you wish to edit the current settings, you must first tap on “Read Parameters” to pull the current settings from the X4 into your App, edit the settings and then tap on “Save Settings” to upload your changes.
Sometimes even though our dosing regimen is fully automated, we need to make small manual adjustments. The X4 allows you to easily make 1 time manual adjustments without affecting your preset schedule.
- To do this, tap on the “Manual” icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Here you can easily select the pump and enter the amount you wish to dose.
- Tap on the “Start” button and the pump will dose the amount you specify regardless of the automatic regimen you previously configured.
For more details specs and pricing, please visit the product main page at http://www.coralvue.com/kamoer-x4-wifi-doser
If you have any questions or issues with the product, don’t hesitate to visit our support portal at coralvue.com/support. Our friendly support reps are eager to help you with any questions or issues you may have.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay up to date on all our latest products reviews and tutorial videos. You can also follow us on twitter @CoralVue and give us a like on Facebook at Facebook.com/CoralvueAquariumProducts