Maxspect Ethereal 101 Part 1: Assembly and Installation
T he highly anticipated Maxspect Ethereal LED system will be hitting your local retail store within the next few weeks.
Part one of this two part video series, We introduce you to the brand new Ethereal LED fixture from Maxspect and show you how to properly assemble, install and mount the fixture to your tank. We will cover programing the Ethereal using the latest mobile app in part two of the series.
The Ethereal LED is the latest development from the folks at Maxspect. They are known for breaking the mold and thinking outside the box and develop products that are innovative, fresh and like no other product out on the market.
Some of the features that make the Ethereals different from the rest of the pack are:
- Its signature crossflow fan located in the center of the fixture that quietly cools the fixture for optimal performance… This thermally controlled fan actively cools the unit by drawing air from above and below the fixture then forcing air around all components dissipating the heat produced. The fan will be automatically engaged when the temperature is above 40°C/160°F, and disengage when it is below 35°C/95°F.
- Super compact body that is only 1.3” thick!
- Programmable RGB color LED fan to allow the fixtures to match your tank decor by replicating the accent color.
- A very stylish yet impressively sturdy mounting arm that fits both braced and rimless aquariums.
- Optimized 100-degree lenses with reflective cups for maximum penetration and superb color blending… Greater light distribution and NO MORE DISCO EFFECT!
- Uses only the best Cree LED chips distributed amongst 4 LED pads and 5 individually controllable channels offering unmatched performance and versatility.
The Ethereal LED fixtures only use 130 watts of electricity with a 24×24 inch coverage.
It can also be paired with other Ethereal fixtures to create the ultimate lighting system. You only need 1 master fixture and you can connect up to 199 slaves to it. The Maxspect Ethereal is truly the next generation in modular LED lighting.
Before we get into the assembly of the product, let’s make sure we have all the necessary parts. The Ethereal box comes with:
- One LED module
- A 2-piece mounting bracket
- One power supply with power cable
- One ICV6 controller box if you purchased the master bundle
- Screws to assemble the mounting bracket
From your toolbox cabinet, you will need a Philips screwdriver.
Before assembly, keep in mind the following safety tips when installing your Ethereal:
- To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this fixture to rain, moisture, dripping or splashing.
- The fixture should be situated so that its location or position does not interfere with its proper ventilation. Do not ever place anything over the top of the fixture.
- The fixture should be situated away from equipment or devices that generate strong magnetism.
Now that we have gone over all the components and safety tips, we are ready to assemble the fixture.
The first thing we need to do is assemble the mounting bracket by taking the two parts and putting them together. You will need to place the bracket that mounts to the LED module on top of the bracket that attaches to the tank glass. Line up the screw holes on both sections and adjust the two parts for the desired reach. Once you have lined up the fixture, secure the two pieces together with the included screws and nuts.
WARNING: Make sure that you are installing at least 4 screws and nuts when assembling the bracket. Otherwise, the bracket will not have enough support and won’t be able to handle the weight of the LED module.
Next, we install the assembled mount to the LED module. On the underside of the module, pick the screw holes that will give you the desired reach. The closer to the back edge of the LED module, the more the fixture will reach away from the mounting bracket. Once you selected the desired reach, go ahead and secure the bracket to the module using the provided screws.
WARNING: For safety and support, make sure that you are installing at least 4 screws when mounting the LED module to the bracket.
The final step in the assembly process is to insert the thumbscrews half way into the base of the bracket. Be sure to leave enough room so that the bracket can easily slide onto your aquarium’s back glass or brace.
Carefully place the fixture on your tank and tighten the thumbscrews to secure the unit to the glass. Be sure to not over tighten them. To ensure that the fixture is properly aligned, raise the LED module until the bracket is at a 20 degree angle and then finish tightening the thumbscrews to secure the unit in place.
The fixture can also be easily mounted on a brace. To do so, simply detach the bottom part of the bracket and flip it around. Then reattach it using the provided screws. Again, super important… make sure that you are using at least 4 screws to assemble the bracket. Carefully slide the bracket into position and then tighten the thumbscrews.
Although sold separately the Ethereal can be suspended over the aquarium with the available hanging kit.
The Ethereal turns on automatically when power is connected, and turns off when power is cut. When power is resumed, the LED Module will restore to the previous saved setting automatically, whether it was last set at Manual, Preset or Automatic Mode.
WARNING: NEVER look directly at the LED bulbs when turning on the fixture.
Master or Slave
There are two types of Ethereal fixtures. The master fixture and the slave. Right about now, you are probably asking, what is the difference between the two of them and which one do I need?
You will need a master if you are using it as part of multiple ethereal fixtures or if you are using the ethereal as a single unit over your tank.
The slave fixture can only be programmed via a master fixture. This means that while you can turn the unit on and off and manually change the intensity of each channel using the knob on the back of the fixture, it cannot be directly programmed to run any type of lighting schedule.
The master Ethereal comes with a remote control box called the ICV6 which allows you to wirelessly program your master fixture via a mobile app. It also enables you to link and program your master fixture with up to 199 slave fixtures to create one single lighting system. We will cover connecting, grouping and programming your Ethereal LED fixture on the 2nd video of this 2-part series.
If you would like more information on the Maxspect Ethereal, experiencing issues with your light, or have technical questions that you wish to ask, please head over to www.coralvue.com/support and submit a support ticket.